Monday 28 January 2019

For You Lot Simon Phillips - 1995 Symbiosis

I started writing cloth for Symbiosis early on '93. In fact Force Majeure hadn't been released yet, but I needed to become my ideas downward as well as focus to a greater extent than on developing my writing style.
I was living inwards an storey inwards Studio City as well as had ready a piffling writing studio inwards the living room - no drum kit. I had a DrumKat ready but that is non quite the existent thing. However, for composition it was fine, as well as I believe the showtime slice that made it onto the CD was "Sea Of Sighs". Ray Russell came over to remain inwards my novel habitation as well as nosotros worked together on some novel material. Most of it was accomplished amongst the assistance of FedEx. I would mail a DAT of some ideas - he would mail dorsum the same, as well as so I would conform all the parts making changes as well as so on. The piffling writing studio was pushed to the limit, amongst diverse complaints from tenants underneath as well as roughly me. Time to expect for somewhere else!
Mike Porcaro had a little studio but it was inwards request of a piffling form out. Using my sense as well as cognition of running as well as maintaining a professional person studio I proposed that I pattern as well as wire his equipment, add together some of my equipment, inwards provide for the role of the studio.
Thus Mickey Shoals was born. H5N1 little ADAT studio amongst a rather fine piece bay - little drum kit, keyboards, Vision sequencing - fifty-fifty a java maker! I recorded Toto's Tambu demos in that location as well as fifty-fifty ane basic rail was used on the album - non telling which!
H5N1 swain from a novel High German Label, Lipstick, had been calling me every fourth dimension I landed inwards Germany. Quite how he knew where I was amazed me, but he was certain consistent. I was on tour amongst Los Lobotomies inwards '94 as well as I decided to come across amongst the swain inwards inquiry to take in what he had to offer. I drove overnight from Hamburg to Köln inwards a prissy piffling BMW rather quickly - I intend I made it inwards less than three hours - as well as met amongst him over breakfast at the Central Bar. His advert was Joachim Becker, as well as our bargain was agreed over Rührei mit Speck, no messing around. At final I was signed to a small, but enthusiastic company.
Recording for Symbiosis started on June 3rd, 1995 at H5N1 & m studios inwards Hollywood as well as was to engagement the nigh successful CD earning a High German Jazz Award for 10,000 domestic sales.

Nice release. Very unique. Reminded me of the onetime Bill Bruford as well as Alan Holdsworth Jazz Fusion. Simon Phillips vogue of drumming is really unique. I actually can't retrieve a CD I purchased that was anything similar this inwards many years (Bill Bruford 1979 One of Kind). Dixie Dregs every bit good comes close. I'll move looking & listening for some of Simon's other releases.

Stumbled upon this afterwards picking upward Simons novel album. Really prissy blend of Saxophone as well as Guitar. Harkens dorsum to 70's fusion albums past times (Di Meola era) Return to Forever or 70's Allan Holdsworth. Definitely worth a listen.

Wow!!! Awesome Fusion from 1995 at the correct price. I was hoping to become something to a greater extent than recent from him, but the budget didn't let it. Practically stole this album on Marketplace as well as must say: MIND. BLOWN. Reall neat stuff; residual of emphasis on Saxes as well as Guitar upward front; progressive writing, neat hooks, simply non exclusively fun but GOOD, GOOD JAZZ if you lot enquire me

This CD is a neat detect for all musicians listening to contemporary jazz. The score of musicianship is really high. Simon Phillips is, of course, simply fantastic. On this, his tertiary solo effort, he turns off the sequencers as well as does it all amongst existent musicians. The ensemble contains the pith from Force Majeure - Anthony Jackson, Ray Russle as well as adds Mitch Forman as well as diverse percussionists. Several of the compositions seem to accept to a greater extent than trunk than Simon's before move without losing whatever of the Simon signature fireworks. Absolute must for whatever drummer. I would accept given it five stars but I would reserve that rating for aclassics similar 'A Love Supreme" or 'Kind of Blue' as well as so forth

Track listing:

1. Symbiosis
2. You Restless Angel
3. Midair Decision
4. Biplane to Bermuda
5. Isis
6. Out of the Blue
7. Starfish Spaghetti
8. Indian Summer
9. Sea of Sighs

Personnel:

Simon Phillips - Drums;
Ray Russell - Guitar;
Mitchell Forman - Keyboards;
John Pena, Mike Porcaro, Jimmy Johnson - Bass;
Wendell Brooks - Horns;
Chris Trujillo, Sheila E. - Percussion


EmoticonEmoticon